Sometimes I forget how much of a passion I have for the past.
Not just my own, but generally speaking.
I have this almost limitless space in my mind for facts about what used to be.
And at only 23 years old I have already learned so much… Yes that sounds vain.
It’s true though… Most people don’t realize how vast my knowledge is in some ways.
But at the same time, I realize it is still very limited. There is so much more to know, to learn, to learn to love. Which brings me to a TOP TEN TUESDAY.
Things I love to learn about:
1. America history pre-1840s (Antebellum). I love me some Revolutionary history, but also Puritan culture and Native American culture… The collision of the two. It is all so incredibly fascinating.
2. Baseball history! This started out with an obsession with Yankee’s history. Yes that is a very limited scope, but being that it is one of the most historically rich franchises of all time still quite vast. Recently, (the past two years or so) my love has spread to the entirety of the game. I thank Ken Burns for this.
3. Classic literature and it’s authors. I have always been one for snuggling up with a great book, but as I grow older I have started to enjoy reading about who wrote what and why and who they, the authors, as people were.
4. New recipes! This branches out of traditional edumacation, unless you took homeec in 7th and 8th grade. Wait I did that. Anyhow, I love learning to make new things. Both baking and cooking. My store team leader actually explained it to me best, cooking is more of an art, while baking is a science. Generally, I geek out for both.
5. Myself. Yeah. Lame I know. But I feel like everyday I learn something about myself. Whether it be a vegetable I dislike, or a smell I have a fondness for. I am definitely one of those people who buy self discovery fill in the blank books, or.. Better yet, the kind of person who makes top ten lists about their favorite things.
6. New things at work. Yes I am totally that kid that sucks up in class I guess, but truth be told I like doing my job well. That is why learning the right way to do things takes such a priority in my mind. I ask once, and generally am comfortable at that. I listen to others very well and follow through with what I believe to be good advice. I love my job and I love learning to do it better.
7. Music history. When I was younger this was much more of a passion of mine… Truth be told I have really slacked in this facet of my mind. Just the same I just borrowed Keith Richards Life so I know the passion is still burning somewhere, waiting to be unearthed by something particularly wonderful.
8. To teach myself weird tricks. I can say the alphabet four different ways, twist my belly button inside out, spell Mississippi backwards and make myself cry. These are only a few of the strange things I have just taught myself to do because I was bored.
9. Religion History. Again… I am a huge history nerd. I have taken many, many classes on different religions, their histories, how they compare to other religions. This probably stems from a fairly diverse religious background. Still I think that the answer to life, the universe and everything lies in there somewhere. I am completely agnostic in that I don’t know where nor do I pretend to have any idea.
10. About the people I love. If you are a close friend of mine you probably know that I love to just sit and talk with others for hours. If we are going to have awkward pauses the entire time we are at brunch then chances are it wont work out. Learning about others is so fascinating. Learning about the people you love, well, suddenly it makes all the pieces fit.
Okay, possibly my longest post evar. But fun. So enjoy.